It’s going to be a busy day and you won’t have time to cook at the end of the day. Instead of ordering pizza or getting take out, why not consider a crock pot meal? With a small bit of preparation you can have a healthy meal ready for your family right when you walk in the door.
We’ve been using this recipe for ages and have loved it for almost as long (after all the tweaks). We’ve finally settled on a basic recipe which can be varied depending on what is on hand. Generally, we only change the meat, or the form that the tomato sauce and chilies are added, but it’s pretty much the same each time.
Easy 5 Ingredient Crock Pot Chili Recipe
- 1-2 pints of canned ground beef OR 1.5 lbs browned ground beef
- 2 quarts of home-canned beans OR 8 cups cooked pinto beans
- 1/4-1/2 cup chili seasoning mix, or Lawry’s taco seasoning, to taste (Lawry’s can be salty, so keep that in mind)
- 15 oz tomato sauce + 1 half pint of home-canned jalapenos OR 2 cans RoTel
- Water, for thinner consistency
Add all ingredients to crockpot and cook on low for 4 hours. If you are putting this meal on before work or an all-day outing, add a more water to your ingredients so your chili doesn’t burn to the edges or bottom of your crockpot.
Top with grated cheddar, sour cream, fresh tomato, fresh onion, or serve over corn bread.
What else do you put in your chili recipe?
This recipe was one of the most popular this year on Kristi Stone’s blog The Mind to Homestead and she very kindly allowed me to publish it here.
Latest posts by The Survival Mom (see all)
- Three Layers of 72 Hour Preparedness - December 17, 2017
- 20 All-Natural Recipes For the Cold & Flu Season - December 8, 2017
- Prepper to Prepper: Why did you begin prepping? - December 6, 2017
- Skill-Based Gift Ideas to Suit Every Survival Kid - November 29, 2017
- 2017 Survival Mom Gift Guide - November 26, 2017