Guest post by Right Wing Mom, who will be contributing additional articles about cooking with a fuel-efficient stove.
We received our EcoZoom’s Dura Stove in July. It came well packed and was very easy to set up. The instructions are simple and straight forward.
To get started with our first meal on the EcoZoom, we placed the Dura Stove on our brick patio. Dry leaves and twigs were all the kindling we needed. Once started, we added slightly larger twigs to build the fire.
After the initial start, the fire burned with virtually no smoke, and after a few minutes we added larger (1/2 inch) limbs to maintain the fire. Total start time: five minutes and the fire was ready for cooking!
Shelf Stable Quick Meal
This meal uses only shelf stable ingredients that can be purchased at your local grocery store and kept in your food storage.
1 can regular Spam (cubed)
2 boxes Hamburger Helper Cheeseburger Macaroni
1 (12 oz.) can evaporated milk
4 ½ C water
- Place diced Spam in a 6 quart pot. Cook until crisp, approximately 5 minutes.
- Add water, canned milk and Hamburger Helper. Bringing it to a slow boil. This took approximately 15 minutes.
- Cover and let simmer for the recommended 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Regulating the flame was simple by adding or removing sticks from the fire.
Here is our finished product. (Notice the remaining limbs.)
This meal took less than 40 minutes to prepare and will feed our family of four. It used only handful of dry twigs and limbs from our back yard. There is slight smoky flavor, which we enjoy.
A special thanks to my incredible husband (Live Free or Die) for his help in the making of this demonstration.
Coming soon: Breakfast on the EcoZoom.
RightWingMom lives in the southwest and enjoys family camping and cooking under duress!
Latest posts by The Survival Mom (see all)
- Do’s & Don’ts for comforting someone who has just lost everything - September 23, 2017
- Where There Is No School: How to continue your child’s education post-disaster–GIVEAWAY! - September 20, 2017
- The #1 Item Every Bug Out Bag Should Contain — But Probably Doesn’t - September 15, 2017
- 7 Delicious Things To Do With Cherries - September 11, 2017
- 11 Last Minute, Last Ditch Evacuation Locations - September 9, 2017