Book Review: The Survival Doctor’s Guide to Burns
I’ve heard of the antibacterial properties of honey but never realized that it could be recommended by a medical doctor to treat burns. That was just one of the many pieces of information I found in The Survival Doctor’s Guide to Burns by James Hubbard.
Other survival/prepper medical books contain a broader spectrum of information on many ailments, but I really, really like the way that Dr. Hubbard focuses on one medical emergency, burns. I am pretty well equipped and trained to handle typical first aid emergencies, allergic reactions, and tummy problems, but when it comes to burns, well, they scare me. A burn can become infected quickly and become life-threatening, but after reading The Survival Doctor’s Guide to Burns I feel much better equipped to handle this particular emergency.
This book is written in a conversational, friendly style, which isn’t typical of medical books. Everything was very well explained and there were helpful links to reference pages. I was very impressed with how much I learned and now remember, 2 months later. For example:
- Honey has a high sugar concentration and is acidic, both of which destroy bacteria. That’s why it can work to heal burns and other wounds.
- A way to estimate how much of the body is covered by a burn is knowing that each body part accounts for a certain percentage of the body, which makes it easier to estimate the extent of a burn. The percentages are listed in the book.
- A painless burn isn’t a good thing because a deep burn kills nerve endings. The pain comes later, though.
Also included are lists of must-haves in an emergency kit and what is needed for burn dressings. Dr. Hubbard explains how to sterilize medical instruments and purify water. There is just a ton of usable, easy to understand information in this short book.
I recommend this book so highly that I can say your survival library won’t be complete without it, and at only $3.99, it’s definitely affordable. Currently, it’s an e-book, which is easily stored on any e-reader but I would also like to see a hard copy available as well.
There may be links in the post above that are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission, which does not affect the price you pay for the product. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers.
Post Footer automatically generated by Add Post Footer Plugin for wordpress.© Copyright 2012 The Survival Mom, All rights Reserved. Written For: The Survival Mom
Latest posts by The Survival Mom (see all)
- HERCulean Giveaway with 4 Lucky Winners! - July 14, 2014
- Win CASH, Prizes, and have fun this Monday with a Sentry Safe Live Burn and me! - July 11, 2014
- Food storage recipes for your sweet tooth - July 5, 2014
(3) Readers Comments
No Banner to display