The 12 Days of Christmas: Day 9, Our Favorite Things
I was never an avid Oprah fan, but every year I looked forward to her holiday episode, “Oprah’s Favorite Things.” If you haven’t seen one of these episodes, they were pretty spectacular. Oprah would present about a dozen or so products that she fell in love with that particular year. She raved about it, would sometimes interviews the inventor or designer, and then with a big fanfare, Oprah employees walked in with that particular gift for everyone in the audience. You couldn’t help but wish you were sitting there!
Here’s a fun way you can replicate that idea in a budget-friendly gift idea. Put together a collection of your family’s own favorite things and items that represent the best parts of the past year. These could be favorite foods you’ve discovered, a gift card to your favorite restaurant, photos of some of your family’s favorite memories for the year, a favorite CD or DVD or a product you’ve fallen in love with.
My own box of favorite things for this year will include:
- a box of Kodiak Cakes mix
- Patriotsby James Wesley Rawles
- photos of my kids on their swim team
- a gift card to Chipotle. On all our family travels this year, we ate plenty of Chipotle burritos and loved it!
- waterproof matches. Sounds silly, but the kids and I tested them, and they really work!
- a pillowcase sewn by my daughter. She learned how to sew this year and loves it.
- a gift card to a bowling alley (We re-discovered this fun sport just recently.)
- half-pound of See’s California Brittle
- a copy of The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan. Our family has loved the entire Percy Jackson series.
- recipes for two favorite main dishes I discovered this year
Get the idea? This can be a whole family project with each person contributing and there’s no limit when it comes to creativity. The gifts can be handmade or homemade and don’t have to cost a dime, and if you’ll be mailing this across the miles, it’s possible to put everything in a flat-rate envelope. Plus, deciding what to include brings back lots of fond memories.
There’s still time to put this together. It might be the best gift your family has given!
© 2011, thesurvivalmom. All rights reserved.