It’s not possible to learn everything at once, at least not outside of a sci-fi movie. That’s where the Survival Mom Skill of the Month comes in! It’s actually something I’ve had for several years, so there are quite a few skills you can browse through to get a jump-start on your preparedness.
In 2015, I restarted the Skill of the Month. There are 12 different skills coming, one for every month (clever, right?), that are designed so that everyone from newbie to experienced prepper can hopefully find something to help them on their path. They are laid out to try to fit in with the seasons, which is why canning is in the summer when gardens are producing lots, but they can be tried any time at all.
There are also mini-guides, webinars, and more to go along with these new skills, which will coming soon to this page. Indented posts go into more detail than the main monthly skill post. Remember: we will keep adding to these with more materials, so make sure to check back!
Jump right in! To paraphrase Alan Jackson, “It’s January somewhere!”
March: Learn a new Handicraft
April: Gardening Skills
May: Evacuation Plans
June: Off-Grid Skills
Canning is so awesome that there is actually an entire section on this site devoted to it. Under the “Food and Healthy Living” tab, select “Stocking Up” and it’s the first item.
September: Primitive Camping
October: Get your HAM Radio License
November: DIY Prepper Projects
December: Illuminating Your Options on Light Sources Coming soon!
Latest posts by The Survival Mom (see all)
- Where There Is No School: How to continue your child’s education post-disaster–GIVEAWAY! - September 20, 2017
- The #1 Item Every Bug Out Bag Should Contain — But Probably Doesn’t - September 15, 2017
- 7 Delicious Things To Do With Cherries - September 11, 2017
- 11 Last Minute, Last Ditch Evacuation Locations - September 9, 2017
- 20 Slightly Unusual Items for Stocking Up - September 8, 2017