When I first began my venture into food storage, I was met with a dizzying array of choices, among them freeze-dried and dehydrated produce. I didn’t have a ton of money to spend and had to give some serious consideration as to what I should buy.
I decided that I would buy canned, dehydrated, and freeze-dried versions of fruits and vegetables that I used most often and/or were next to impossible to grow in the Phoenix climate. Pineapple met both those criteria. I buy mine from Thrive Life.
My kids love a good, juicy pineapple any day of the week, but the freshest ones aren’t always available. Freeze-dried pineapple has a light, sweet taste and a nice crunch and is ready, in its #10 can, whenever you are!
Here is what I’ve discovered I can do with this tasty, tropical fruit:
- Add it to oatmeal cookies! Yummm! You can rehydrate it first or just add a half cup or so directly from the can.
- Add it to Oatmeal Pecan Bars! Double yummm!
- Rehydrate the pineapple and use it in a sweet-and-sour sauce for chicken or pork.
- Add some pineapple to a chicken and veggie stir fry, along with some cashews!
- Include it in a snack mix with other dried fruit, nuts, freeze-dried yogurt, and mini chocolate chips. Surprisingly, pineapple and chocolate go very well together, my friend!
- Add to your favorite bran muffin mix.
- Mix in a half cup or so with zucchini bread batter!
- Rehydrate a cup or two. Drain and add to butter and brown sugar for a tart-yet-sweet topping for Pineapple Upside Down Cake (or muffins).
- Mix a bit of freeze-dried pineapple in with cream cheese for a bagel topping.
- Add a cup or two to a super simple party punch recipe: equal parts lemon-lime soda and citrus juice.
- Mix up some pineapple cocktails for a luau!
- Toss it into a salad, either rehydrated or not. The crunchy texture is a nice addition to a salad of greens.
- Rehydrate half a cup or so and sprinkle it over vanilla ice cream.
- Add it to yogurt. It tastes great with vanilla Greek yogurt.
- Use it for a tropical tasting smoothie.
- Use it in place of fresh or canned pineapple in any recipe with “Hawaiian” in the title!
- Add it to any granola recipe.
- Sprinkle it over pizza, along with some chopped ham or bacon!
- Eat it straight out of the can for a healthy, no-sugar-added treat!